Friday, May 11, 2007

What is in a name?

Some of you have asked m e offline, why I refer to my son as Little Bug. Well here is the whole story for.

I worked for Parke-Davis in Ann Arbor, Michigan (now Pfizer) and while working there, we were given headphones to wear in our cubes so that we could listen to music without bothering our neighbors in cube land - this was before IPODS. The headphones also had a microphone attached and when you moved the microphone to the straight up position, it looked you had an antenna sticking up from your head. Well my friend, Pam, would come over to my desk and since my back was to her, she would comment that I looked like a bug, and she started calling me bug. We were training together to walk the Avon 3 Day Breast Cancer walk (60 miles), and I started calling her bugling because she was and is smaller than I am. They were just names we had for each other as friends. After I moved back home, she would send me the most wonderful packages with bug orientated items in them, they were such a welcome surprise in the mail, I love seeing her pacakges in the mail.
Anyway, after I received my son's referral, I struggled with what nickname to give him-eveyone in our family has a nickname. I had some wild ones going for him. Then on my first visit trip, I put him in a red jacket with a hood and he fell asleep on my chest- when I looked down at him, he looked like a a lady bug (potato bug to some people) all snuggled up and comfortable in sleep and I knew right then and there that he was Little Bug. So he has been Little Bug since then.
My neighbors tell me that eventually I will have to stop calling him by this name as little boys will come up with other things to call him like "roach", "sink bug", etc- the teasing that goes on among kids. But, I am going to hang onto this name as long as I can, he is my Little Bug and I am his Momma Bug. I have missed almost 2 years of his life, I think he will be called Little Bug for long time.

Love to you,
Momma Bug

1 comment:

JuJu - said...

Thinking about you and sending big prayers that you get PINK soon:)

Julia:)