Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Still no pictures- just a tired Little Bug and Momma

Well today had to be the longest day of our life together for various reasons:

1. Little Bug woke up at 4:30 am for a diaper change. Since I was already awake with back pain, I decided to stay up and get a start on my work. Unfortunately, Little Bug decided since Momma was awake, he should be awake too. I think this kid is reading my thoughts in the morning. So 1.5 hours of me working and him talking through the monitor, confirming his stuffed animals were still in his bed, and I decided to get him up and start our day. NOTE: he can talk all he wants, I just have to yell back to him that the animals are in his bed. I don't know where he thinks the animals went in the 2 minutes from the last time he asked about them- they are still in his hands.

We left the house at 6:45 am for his doctor appointment at 7:45 am. We were on time thanks to picking up Mam and taking a detour through the industrial section of town trying to avoid a backup at the exit for the hospital. We spend the bulk of the time with the therapist- who informed me that since the Little Bug wouldn't stack small blocks- he is at the developmental age of a 16 month old child for fine motor skills. This is the same little boy that can lock doors that are covered with Child proof covers (so he can't open them), who can take the child proof locks off the kitchen cabinets, who can buckle himself into his high chair. He is not behind in his fine motor skills- he just would not stack the blocks. He stacks his cups all the time in the bath- isn't that the same? OK, I am clearly upset over this. Anyway, I am going to get some blocks for the Little Bug this weekend, just so he can practice this skill.

The remainder of our visit included the joyful experience (lots of sarcasm here) of watching my son being poked 3 times to draw 5 tubes of blood and with each poke, they had to "dig" for the vein. In their defense, they were trying very hard to be gentle and children's veins are very flexible and they roll at the slightest pressure. But, he cried!! I cried- heck I cried when this happened to me when I was 21- it hurts. Poor Little Bug was worn out.

On a good note, the doctor said he is in excellent health and she sees nothing to be concerned about. They are running the blood samples and the stool sample to check for the typical things- those results will come in about 4 weeks. Apparently getting titers on immunizations takes weeks, which I never knew. But it is what it is.

We got home very late this afternoon and Little Bug wanted to go to bed at 6 pm. He managed to stay awake until 6:30 to enjoy his TU and a couple of books. I finished up some work and I am heading off to bed. I am worn out from this day. Today is going to be better and I promise to upload some pictures from earlier this week- I did not take any at the doctor's visit.

Love to you all,
Momma Bug

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb, i understand about the doctors visit. If I was told what was going to happen and what they were really doing before we took Steven i wouldn't have taken him . I would have told you it was a waste of time. I learned more from our petiatrition then i did the adoption clinic and they were able to check for the same things they did. And we had first steps in to visit steven and evaluate him and i think they did a better job then the adoption clinic did. ok i have a little ummmmm... what ever you want to call it in my voice also. i was unhappy and the cost was outrageous. I hope your insurance pays more than ours did.
Karen k