Sunday, July 15, 2007

No pictures, just a poll to help me decide

Little Bug's 2nd birthday is coming up and I am struggling to figure out what to give him. So, I need your help. Please view the items below and tell me what you would give the Little Bug if he was your child. If you have a different suggestion, leave that too.







Selection 1: Organization shelf- my thought is that his toys would be more accessible to him- since right now all his cars are at the bottom of his toy box and he never sees them. NOTE: my mother has told me that this is a lame MOMMA present and it is more for me than him, but his toys are not spread all over the house, so I think she is wrong.



Selection 2: a table that has a chalk board as a top. I think this is cool. Chalk washes off walls, furniture, clothing so the Little Bug could get as creative as he wanted.



Selection 3: a themed table. Little Bug could do art work on this table, he like Thomas the Train.



Selection 4: a plain wooden table and chairs- goes with any decor he decides on in the future (in case he suddenly stops liking trains. He can still do art work and such at the table.

With selections 3 and 4, I would likely buy a chalk board for him at a thrift store so that he can start art project using chalks. I am not ready for paint yet and crayons are still likely to be eaten before they are used.

Let me know what you think.

Love to you,

Momma Bug

7 comments:

Stacy said...

I have no kids, no experience 24/7 with a 2-year old since my sister 22 years ago. My vote is the sorter thing AND some kind of chalkboard. Have you seen in Home Depot (and I know you're there often enough!) the Chalkboard Paint? Our plan was to paint the entire lower half of Ingrid's bedroom door in that chalkboard paint to let her be creative all over it. Kind of like drawing on the wall, but it's a chalkboard. And the sorter thing is something he can grow with, change the stuff that's in it as he gets older.

Like I said, I've never had a 2-year old, so I may be totally off track. Table and chairs seems like a mommy gift also, and my niece didn't use hers until she was almost 4.

Katie said...

I vote for #4 -- I think that is the most practical !!

Anonymous said...

Elianna has the toy bin sorter and LOVES it. I turned the sunroom into a playroom for her. She likes to pull up a chair in front of the bins and move toys from one to another. Of course, she is really into sorting things right now so that appeals to her. My vote would be for the plain table and then paint a wall, closet door or a big piece of plywood with the chalkboard paint. They also make special paint to turn surfaces/wall into a giant dry erase board. The paint is kind of expensive ($22 a can) but it might keep things a little cleaner than chalk dust. (Personally I can't stand the feel of chalk but that is my own little quirk) One item we tried recently and really like are the Color Wonders Finger Paints. I think if you get the table and chairs it is important to get him some kind of "project" item he can use at that table to see how fun it is to have his own little space. A table his size might just boost his confidence and make him feel more "in charge" in his surroundings. ;)

Anonymous said...

We have a son right around Little Bug's age... he's 20 months right now. He has a little table and chairs and loves it, but also has the organizer set and loves that too. I would go with the plain table... think about if you buy the chalkboard table he may associate any table with being able to write on it, and it can be confusing for little ones.

Our son also has a Michael doll which he is very attached to. We bought it because he was like our son colorwise. It is currently his favorite stuffed security toy:
http://www.kskids.com/new2/php/KksProductList.php?brand_id=1&mode=shopping&folder_id=5&page=2

We bought the smaller one. About $14.50. Be warned... they take forever to get here because they are from out of country!

As far as cheaper toys, I would suggest a magnadoodle, anything that opens such as little bags, and boxes to put things in and carry around or puzzles. (Our son is just starting on simple puzzles) the foam puzzles that go together no matter what you put together are great. (They often come as floor mats, but we have a few that are smaller, about 2 ft. in diameter.)

Derek and Jennifer said...

I think I would vote for #4 also. Of course the toy organizer is a great home necessity. We have one that is 9 squares and we got the matching cube drawers to go in it (it came from Target and I would not be without it.) Having the smaller bins is a great things for all the little toys that come with kids.

Okay - back to the gift suggestions. Elena has a table and chairs and loves it. It's a great thing for so many uses. Plus you can get some small crafty things that he and you can use at the table. Good luck with the decision.

Anonymous said...

i agee with the table and chairs. Steven sits at the coffee table with his little chair and does puzzels and reads books and builds blocks. His own special little place.

karen K
ps: mr clean erasers take crayon and pen off the wall real easy. Been there done that already.

Anonymous said...

I like the table and chairs (plain wooden)as well. I also like the idea of the chalkboard paint on at least one of the walls.