Thursday, November 22, 2007

First Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is by far my most favorite holiday- it is just food, family and football- what more could a girl want?

This year, it is more- it is being a family, it being thankful for Little Bug's first family (see their comment in the previous post- we all cried today when we read it), it is being thankful for Little Bug's birth mother and the difficult choice and position she was put in, it is being thankful for be given the awesome responsibility of being Little Bug's Momma and knowing that this is what I was meant to be.

We have some traditions in our family. The day starts with cinnamon rolls. My mom used to make them from biscuits dipped in butter and then in cinnamon sugar mix. I resort to the rolls in a can- 2 varieties. here they are ready to go in the oven. Little Bug had his yogurt while the rolls were cooking- He does need a balanced diet.
Rolls are done and I ma busy sauteing the onions and celery for the stuffing.
Rolls are iced and ready for eating- there are orange cinnamon rolls and cream cheese icing cinnamon rolls
Uncle Dave and Little Bug enjoying the rolls. Little Bug had had enough of me taking pictures and he is letting me know he needs a break.
Then the parade comes on. We watch the Macy's parade. I must say, they need to focus on the parade more and talk less. Little Bug was less than interested until Ronald McDonald came on the screen- then he thought it was cool. He did remark on the singing and dancing.

Mam and Pap arrived during the parade and Pap offered to peel potatoes. Pap's tradition is to eat a raw potato. He is cutting a piece for Little Bug.
Little Bug licked the salt off the potato and declared that he was done. Pap has never seen someone just lick the salt off the potato
Another attempt to get Little Bug to eat the potato- still did not work.
Me- washing and cutting up the potatoes so they can be cooked. I look at this picture and wonder when in the heck did I start looking like my mother? Some changes are coming because I am too young to look like my mother.
One done turkey!!!! We planned on eating around 2 and it was 1:30 when we sat down to eat. This is 20 pound turkey- by far the biggest turkey we have ever had for Thanksgiving.

All the food set out on the buffet- cream cheese stuffed celery, cranberry sauce, stuffing cooked outside the turkey, crescent rolls, stuffing cooked in the turkey, way too many mash potatoes. Not seen- gravy and peas- they were still cooking.
Nene having his turkey, potatoes and peas. He ate the turkey, some potatoes and cranberry sauce from my plate.
The big table, Tink, Mam, Nene, Pap, Uncle Dave
The little table, Uncle Darrell, Lulu, Koki (exchange student from Japan), Jas


Little Bug just about done- he is starting to play with his potatoes.
Dessert- Pumpkin pie and Apple pie. Little Bug did not want either- he wanted the whipped cream. His comment on this spoonful "too big" and then he put it all in his mouth.
Cleanup was done, everyone left and we watched football. This is about 5 pm- Little Bug and Momma resting on the couch. I am tired, Little Bug is just catching his second wind.
Uncle Dave resting on the other couch- he did sleep for about 15 minutes- Little Bug and I both heard the snores!!!
Little Bug was done resting in 15 minutes, I took a little longer- but then I decided that Little Bug needed a bath and once we were done with that----

The Christmas tree came out!!! Yes, I waited until after Thanksgiving was over to put it up- Uncle Dave thinks I am crazy, but I am excited. Little Bug was so excited to see the lights. Tomorrow we are decorating the tree and putting up lights outside.


Here is Little Bug pointing out the BLUE light to me.
I even brought out Little Bug's tree from last year- it is covered with ornaments I bought for Little Bug last year and then it became the only tree I had up last year. It stayed up until he came home - really I think it stayed up until the weekend of his birthday- I only took it down because so many people were coming over for his birthday and I did not want to be too strange (yes, I am already strange enough)
Another picture of Little Bug and the tree.
And another one.
So that was our day- a day that I have been waiting for for years. It was everything I wanted it to be and I am so happy tonight.
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I wish you a joyous holiday season.
Love to you,
Deb AKA Momma Bug




2 comments:

Derek and Jennifer said...

I am so glad it turned out to be all you were hoping for! God has blessed you and I'm so happy to see you enjoying His gift to you!

We too had a great Thanksgiving - it's hard not to enjoy it with the wonderful sounds of a childs laughter filling our homes!

Angie said...

We do the cinnamon rolls for breakfast on holidays too! Love them, especially now that they make the just-as-good reduced fat ones ;-)