Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Winter storm Day 2 and Momma's birthday

Today was day 2 of the winter storm- we had ice over night- from 12 noon yesterday until 4 am this morning. Then the snow started. It snowed until 11:30 am. The roads were a mess and watching the TV, there were lots of times the streets could not even be seen. Obviously, Bug stayed home with me.
I had a plan today- craft time, bake a cake, shovel snow and nap in the afternoon. Most of it came to pass- but Bug had not napped all day- which is leading to an exhausted momma.

Here is our day-

Having Chocolate Yum Yum cake (yes, that is the name). Some wonderful friends gave me the recipe years ago- actually they made it for me on my 25th birthday. Today I turned 43 (yes, I told you all my age). I had to call them just to let them know I was thinking about them. They said that we should come visit them next year- the house off the coast of Seattle will be ready. I am ready for a trip out to the west coast to see them. Bug, serving me ice pizza.

Sliding in the snow. His slide was filled with ice and snow- but he had a good time.


Frosty was quite frozen today. His hat and scarf are totally encased in ice.



Our lilac bush is encased in ice. I hope the bush blooms OK




Craft time: Noodle art. Thanks Becca for this idea. Bug totally enjoyed this craft- although he only liked the spaghetti strands, not the elbow macaroni or the ziti.





We also made ziti necklaces and painted them.




My necklace and you can see Bug's at the top of the picture.









Threading the ziti on the string








See, this is how it is done Momma






Our drive way after I shoveled snow for 2 hours. The worst part was the end of the driveway where the snow low had come through last night and put all the crud from the street up on to the driveway. I think that part alone took over an hour to shovel- it was all wet and heavy and frozen solid. There is still a layer of ice on the driveway- hopefully I can get traction in the morning to get backed out and take Bug to Auntie Lulu's house.











As you can see- I have wonderful neighbors that think moving their car off the street in a snow storm is optional.












Snow and ice on the grill that I plan using this weekend. Although the weather report for this weekend is not looking so good and the snow and ice we got over the last 2 days will still be here.













Frosty out in the yard this morning before he was completely covered. Bug dug him out while I worked on the driveway.












How the neighborhood looked this morning- you can't even tell I shoveled the driveway yesterday. But you can see the car across the street blocked in by the snowplow path.









That was my birthday- home in the house with the Bug- crafting, baking and shoveling snow. I will be happy to go back to work tomorrow while Bug is at my sister's. It is not that I don't like having him at home, it is just that he will not let me work at all.
Love to you,
Deb







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the pics. My mom told me about what a mess things were over there. They spent the morning watching the news coverage with the live cam of the streets. Sounded like some "real Reality TV"

Michelle Smiles said...

Look at all of that snow! I almost miss it. Almost. I miss the day the snow falls when everyone stays home and eats soup and plays outside. I don't miss the days after when it is just cold and the snow turns gray.