Friday, January 2, 2009

Day 2 in Guatemala

First before I start the recap of today- here is the picture for the other families who have been touched by the love and care from Mireya, Carlos, Susi, Karla and Andrea. The family seeing the throw we had made of the boys. They loved it and there were tears in many eyes, including mine. Today, the family came ot the hotel and we played for a little while and then Carlos and Mireya asked of we would like to go to the zoo. We said yes, becuase even though we are going on Wednesday with the kids I support through Compassion International, there are always new things to see at the zoo.

Mam, Nene, and I rode in the car with Carlos and Susi. Mireya, Karla and Andrea took a taxi.

I learned today that even though Mireya said that all the boys were "Karla's babies" Susi carried Nene all the time. I think he is going to have a hard time adjusting to life back home where Momma makes him walk everywhere.


At the end of the day we rode the train- Nene started to ride in the car with the girls but then he realized I was going to be in another car and he got very upset.

With Mireya. he pretty much ignored Mireya and Carlos all day and refused to go to them. It turned out to be a very hot day. In the morning, it was cool and Nene said he wanted a long sleeve shirt on, I neglected to bring a short sleeve in my bag for him so he was quite hot and his atttitude reflected that he was hot.



At the front sign






A precious and awesome family. We had lunch in the late afternoon at Pizza Hut. I am amazed at every place we eat how different it is from the US. While we were eating lunch, Nene spilled his entire drink on me and him, it was a mess. Not as bad as realizing that someone had sliced open my back pack at the zoo. I saw the slice when I pulled my pack out of the spilled drink. I bought the back pack specifically for this trip. I wore my pack on my front at the zoo, and then Susi wore it. I never saw the slice on it while we walked around in the zoo, so I think it happened as we left the zoo. Thankfully nothing was taken- the slice was in the section where I had my camera and my video recorder, so thank God that they were not taken.
but it put me in a foul mood. 4 trips to Guatemala and nothing like this has ever happened and I took the right precautions today. I am mad that my new back pack is sliced open. I should be happy that nothing was taken and no one was hurt, but it still is upsetting.
Tomorrow we are hanging at the hotel. the family has other plans adn we are going to swim. Andrea, who was part of the in country staff for our agency may be coming to swim and play wiht us (actually her son will be playing with Nene).
Then Sunday, we maybe going to the lake with the family. We will finalize our plans tomorrow. Very exciting and so unexpected.
Anyway, I am off to check on Nene and get him ready for bed. love to you,
Deb



3 comments:

Nicole said...

So glad you're having a wonderful time! (other than the backpack incident)

You all look so happy in the pictures! Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Misty McKibben-Melvin said...

Looks like you are having a great time! Feel free to pick me up some bookmarks and other authentic little stuff and I'll pay you back if you are out shopping. we have a stocking for a guatemala santa that he fills with authentic stuff for us each christmas.......so I'd have a head start on Chrismas next year!
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stacy J said...

What a great picture of the family opening the throw! It looks like Bug is handling everything so well and you are having a lot of fun. Sorry about the backpack, though! Please tell the family that we said hi and wish we could have been there too!