Friday, January 9, 2009

Another trip to the zoo and another goodbye

Day 7 in Guatemala was a busy day. We had plans to meet up with the children we sponsor through Compassion International and see the zoo. Before we left, I received word that Norma, the 14 year old girl, had decided to get married and stop attending school and the Compassion project. I was hoping and praying that she changed her mind, but unfortunately, she did get married. My heart breaks for what she will go through being married so young and having not finished her education. I know that life is very different in Guatemala, but she has very limited choices now.

We were able to meet Jose. He is 14, going on 15. He is very shy, but warmed up after much prodding from his mother. He is one of 4 children that his mother supports since their father died over 5 years ago. Their life is very hard.

Our visit was wonderful. I wish I had been able to meet the other child I sponsor in the Dominican Republic. This trip brought me closer to Jose and I wish I could have the same experience with Rosa.
After the zoo, we headed back to the hotel for some nap time. Bug slept for 3 hours after the zoo and he napped at the zoo too. We got cleaned up and headed downstairs to meet Mireya, Carlos, Susi, Karla, and Andrea. We had dinner at Sirebella in the hotel (in case Bug had another melt down). The dinner was great, play time was great and saying good bye was so much more easier this time. We all left knowing that we would see each other again and knowing that we had had a great time.

This trip was so much more than I expected, but it was what I hoped for. There was so much more time to enjoy each other's company. Many hurts from the adoption process were laid to rest. Some parts I had suspected were confirmed. I can't wait to go back.



Happy together


Just playing around and having fun

Carlos, Mireya, Karla and Andrea (Nigua)



Bug, Susi, Mam and Andrea. Bug sat with Susi any chance he could

Playing with the new toy from the family- a SPORTS car.





Claudia- the translator and host with Compassion International.




The whole gang- Ingrid, the project worker from Jose's Compassion project, me, Bug, Jose, Ingrid (Jose's mother), and Mam.







A close up of the gang.







Jose, working on the toy from the Pollo Campero kid's meal for Bug.
I have lots of laundry to do tomorrow, bags to unpack and things to get done around the house before I go back to work on Monday. I also think that I will be limiting my Internet time during the week this year. Time on the computer is usually time taken away from Bug or time in the evening that I could be doing things around the house so Bug and I have more time together at other times. So if you don't hear from us until the weekend, not to worry- we are off being a family and doing the family things.
Love and hugs,
Deb







1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Looks like you all had a great day!