Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bye-Bye toddlerhood, hello boyhood

UPDATE to add:


WELCOME HOME ERIN, A and JOHN. After 2 years fostering A in Antigua- they are all back on US soil as a family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Well, it is official now- in addition to learning how to swim on his own, Bug has entered boyhood. Based on a discussion with a social worker and my observations of his behaviors- toddlerhood/babyhood is ending.

Lately, Bug has been on tear- anything he could fight me on, he would. If I told him to get dressed, he insisted that he wanted to stay in his jammies, if I told him we were going to have dinner and asked for his choice of dinner, he said he was not hungry, etc. Usually his statements were accompanied by a temper tantrum and lots of tears. And there are the fights at bed are something to witness - but you might prefer to be on the phone instead. Bug will fight bedtime tooth and nail- 2 hours of tears, screaming and constant attempts to get out of bed. They are wearing and exhausting.

In Guatemala, he throw a fit that it was time to get out of pool after 2 hours of swimming and when he finally out of pool, he was so mad, he took my glasses off and threw them to the floor in the lobby of the hotel

So this weekend, after advice, naps are ending- he is too rested after his nap and then will not go to bed on time. He fights it for 2 hours- so an 8 or 8:30 bed time becomes 10 or 10:30 pm which means the morning wake up at 6:30 am is not pleasant. I also need to find something to wear the little man out each night- swimming on Monday, playing at the mall tonight- but that is just 2 nights out of 7 nights. The social worker suggested a trampoline- one of the mini ones with the handle bar, so Bug can bounce all his energy out of him. Where can I get one of these things?

This weekend, as naps are given up, please pray for us- particularly me- I like my weekend naps, I really like them. I am foreseeing one tired momma. I have been told that Bug is likely to be not so happy in the evenings (to put it mildly), it should lots of fun around our house for the next week or so.

Oh well, this is life as a momma and a family. My Bug is growing up.

Love to you,
Deb



4 comments:

Michelle Smiles said...

I hope my little ones never give up naps. Momma needs them even if I don't get to sleep - I need the down time or time to get things done. Good luck!

Jane said...

I don't want to give up naps for say...5 or 10 more years either!
we do have a mini trampoline with an adjustable handle bar. Bought it on amazon. Didn't get the kid version so I can use it if I'm inclined...plus it has springs holding the jumping surface instead of "bungy cords" which I've heard are a big pain to adjust. It's proudly displayed in the living room because it's too big for the playroom! I've seen some cute toddler versions on t@rget . com

Steph said...

UGH. I am dreading the day when naps are gone. Hopefully he will at least agree to "quiet" time? We are starting to see tantrums with crying, hitting, and throwing. It's tough to know what to do.

Anonymous said...

Daniel gave up naps shortly after turning 3. Good luck, the evenings can be long. Daniel takes spells that he whines and throws tantrums over the slightest little thing. The big issue for us is that Daniel isn't a good sleeper at night, so it all makes for some interesting days.