Friday, January 23, 2009

This and That and an Interview

First the Interview:


Interview
My blogging buddy, Stephanie, sent me an interview!
And, I know you want to join in on the fun. So,here is how it works:
1. If you want to participate, leave me a comment saying, “Interview me.” (And your e-mail address)
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

1. Describe your perfect day.
Does a day without a toddler tantrum count??? Serious though, my perfect day happened while in Guatemala- I got to watch Mireya, Carlos, Susi, Karla and Andrea play with Bug. To me, the cycle of grief was broken- we were all happy, we all were enjoying ourselves. Every visit trip was filled with tears and crying, the homecoming trip was gut wrenching , so to be back in Guatemala spending time with them, with my son and my mom was a blessing. It was the most perfect day I have experienced.
2. What is your proudest moment as a mother?
I don't know. I guess I am proud that Bug has adjusted as well as he has, that he is growing up big and strong and that he is just an awesome little man.
3. If you could interview anyone in the world (past or present), who would it be and why?
Bug's birth mother- without a doubt. I would like to tell her that Bug is loved and cherished. I would like to ask her the questions that haunt me still from his adoption process. I would like to hear her tell her story. I would like to introduce her to Bug.
4. How do you spend your "free time?"
HAHAHAHA!!!!! I spend my free time cleaning house, reading blogs, sleeping and trying to be a good single mom. But mostly in my free time- I sit and just feel overwhelmed at what I need to get done. I actually took a night this week and read 2 books- yes I read 2 books in one night. That was the closest I have come to free time in about 6 months. It was so relaxing. I probably should do that more often- although I need to do it on a weekend since I stayed up until 1 am on a work night to finish the last book and my concentration was seriously shot at work the next day.
5. What do you love most about yourself?
My capacity to empathize with others. It can be overwhelming at times, but most of the time it gives me insight into what is motivating the other person and allows me to step out of my position to see things their way.


This and That:

I put Bug in size 5 clothes today- the pants almost fit. They bagged a little at the ankles. the shirt was huge on Bug. Although, the shirt will fit in 6 months or less at the rate he is growing.

My friend S, whose daughter is I, is expecting her referral for IK any day now ( I hope Doug gets that I am talking about you now). She called today and I did not recognize the phone number and I could not figure out why a work college was going on and on. It took 1-2 minutes before her full name registered. She was upfront saying "this is not the call" and that was what I was trying to figure out what the heck thsi had to do with the email I had just sent to someone at work with the same first name. Suddenly it all made sense, but I sure felt stupid.
I had given her all 4 phone numbers for me in case she gets the call- so there is someone who will be excited for her when the referral comes. Her work colleagues are less than kind in that regard, so a few of us out here in blogland have promised to be her excitement screams when her referral comes through. The referral looks close now and of course I am traveling for work on Monday, so the call will come then. But we have a plan of action- even if I am late hearing the news, I will be screaming with excitement and joy for her.
I guess this means I have to get the fabric bought for the ragged quilt for her- cause as we all know, it is going to take me forever to get it done. I thought about swapping in the yahoo group "100 good wishes quilt"- so her daughter will have a 100 good wishes quilt, but I realize that it will likely take me years to finish that quilt. So I will collect the fabric and wishes and see if the local quilt shop can help me with a person to actually piece it and quilt it. It will likely be a birthday or Christmas present in a year or 2 given that I have to swap with 100 other people to get the wishes and squares. But it is a plan. Maybe it will motivate me to get Bug's 100 good wishes quilt done at the same time.

We are off to Toddler Otterville again tomorrow with the other single moms. Someone asked about the cost the last time I posted and I don't think I replied. The play area is located in a toy store- but it is separated. The cost per child is something like $7-8 and parents are free. Each area is a room that is separated by a low wall that most parents can see over. There are a few places that you do not have line of sight to your child if you, the parent sit in the main area. Since Bug is still little enough to get pushed around by older kids and since I still feel it important that he see me at all times, I think it will be a few more years before I can sit in the snack bar area and let him play without me being right there beside him.

That's all for tonight- look for lots of pictures tomorrow night.

Love and hugs,
Deb

2 comments:

Resplendentquetzal said...

Interview me!

Julie said...

Loved reading your interview. I think I'd like to do the same. Also, we had a blast with you two today at Totter Otterville. But then again, we always have fun with you and Bug. Can't wait to spend more time together...once a month at least! Hope your trip goes well.