Monday, March 31, 2008

Pictures of Bug's bike

OK- working backward from this evening-

Bug out on his "bike" after dinner. He does not use the pedals to much, I am still pushing him. But is only day 2 on his bike and he is learning. What we do need to work on is his love of driving into the grass because he is too busy looking at everything else. Not that I think grass is so important, but because I am trying to teach him to be aware of his surroundings- for that day when he is riding along and a car backs up or turns into the driveway. Just trying to keep him safe. He seriously looked like a drunk driver going down the sidewalk- he was everywhere, weaving from side to side, never staying in the middle. If I had not been directing using the handle, he might have ended up in the grass tipped over every 5 feet.
On the positive weather side, we saw crocuses!!!! No other flowers blooming yet and it is a little late for the daffodils- but they are getting ready to bloom. Soon it will be May 1st and planting season will begin. OK the experts tell us to wait for mother's day- but if I wait that long all the plants will be gone from the stores- so May 1st is buying day.
This is yesterday- note the difference in outerwear. Yesterday, hat, coat, gloves- today, shirts only. I wish the weather would decide.

"I so HAPPY!!!!"
A great find for you parents of toddlers- I got 6 of these plates at Target. Bug loves them, I love them. They hold perfect toddler portions of food. Tonight was lasagna, sauteed squash and zuccini, garlic bread, Mandarin oranges. Dinner was a hit. Bug tried the squash and zucinni- he liked it but preferred everything else.
I also got him some plastic cups. These are ringed by thirds. I fill the cup 1/3 of the way and give it to him, he drinks it down. Bug is drinking more milk now since I switched to these cups. I think he likes having cups like me and Uncle Dave.
An expression I remember from so many pictures from Bug's first family. He is just playing around- sticking out his tongue and yelling.
As you can see, he is doing great after his surgery. He continues to improve each day. I am hoping and praying that soon he will be back to his usual self because he has reverted to hitting and biting me. I know I say I am tired of it, but this is wearing me down. I am his target and we seem to get into cycles. I am tired and frustrated with his hitting and biting and he is frustrated, so we push each other's buttons. I know that there is better way, but I don't know how to give Bug the words for all the feelings he is going through- does anyone know? Because I am reaching my end. I am tired of struggling at bed time- he wants blankets, he does not want blankets, he wants a toy, he does not want a toy, he wants a kiss, he does not want a kiss. I am tired of hearing him scream for 10-15 minutes because I walked out of the room saying good night and I love you and he decides that he does not want his blankets off, his toy in the bed, he wants more kisses. I walk away because to stay just feeds the cycle and we both end up in bad moods. How do you give your toddler words to express their feelings? I talk with him, I give him choices, I try and nothing seems to work.
On that note, I am told that "he is only 2", but when do the excuses of age end? If now I say he is only 2, what about when he is 3, or 4 or 16 or 21? Doesn't responsibility and understanding have to start now so that when he is older, he knows? Don't toddlers have the capacity to understand 2 choices "this or that"? I am not saying that I don't get that he is 2, just that letting him have tantrums, hit, bite, etc should not be allowed just because he is 2- because where do you draw the line then.
OK- I am clearly still working this all out and I have no conclusion right now. But is something I need to work through.
Love to you,
Deb AKA Momma Bug


2 comments:

Ann said...

I love those divided plates. One problem though, they do not lay flat on the booster seat tray. Darn!

Elianna has an assortment of cafeteria type plates. (I use different colors to reinforce the learning of her colors. I once read that children remember different stages of their lives in connection to the plates used. Sounds kind of odd but they DO see the plates almost every day and if they eat as slow as E, they will see them for a longer period each day. ;-)

Deb said...

Princess tator tot's momma- Bug and I gave up on the tray months ago-= too many times his cup got kn ocked ot the floor and none of the other plates we have actaully fit correctly. So unless we are having soup, where I will know his bowl will fit, he has his plate on the table. The booster seat has different heights, so maybe Princess tator tot could be set up higher?

Love and hugs to you both---