Wednesday, March 12, 2008

being Green and a few memos to folks

I am not sure what the gas prices are in your area- but on Monday morning, gas was $3.16 per gallon down the street from me. By lunch time, gas was $3.35 per gallon. I spent Monday evening watching a bunch of "green" TV shows on a TV station- basically, so me folks come in and help a family realize how to be more green and on one show, they actually calculate the savings over 3 weeks and estimate it out for a year and give the people the money (a show from New Zealand).

I know the basics, I choose not to follow them at times, but I want to be more green.

Things I have done: changed every light in the house to the compact fluorescent, planted a vegetable garden, refuse to water my lawn (although I water my gardens).

One the agenda right now- meaning I am considering them and really want to do them:
1. solar panels on the south facing wall of the house- can they be hung vertical in stead of being on he roof?
2. Rain barrels to collect water for my gardens- but did you know that the cost of rain barrel starts at $100.00 on line and I think I need 4 of them.
3. Rip out my grass- grass is a water hog (although I refuse to water mine so it not such a hog at my house)- I would prefer native plants and paths. Bug does need some area for soccer (football).
4. A clothes line. yep- you read that right, I want to hang my clothes out to dry.

I am also considering being much more vegetable orientated in meals- less meat. Why, because I can grow almost 90% of the vegetables we would eat- it might take me 203 years to get all the gardens put in and ready to go, but since I add garden beds each fall, it should not be too hard to do.

So my questions- where the heck can I get affordable rain barrels?
What else can I do right now that is relatively painless? NOTE: my car gets fantastic gas mileage and I am not ready to afford a car payment- it runs, it gets 26 miles to the gallon most weeks, it holds 3-4 adults and 1 toddler and is not an SUV.

I need to step up the recycling- newspapers I have down- they become the bottom of my raised garden beds- I have stack 4 foot high right now to begin some more garden beds.
I need to stop eating out- I think we are going to twice a week- Wednesday night and Sunday morning
I need to install some low flow shower heads and toilets- those are on the plan for next 2 years.
I would like to install a tankless water heater- that will be when the current water heater dies.

So many things, so many choices. I need help, I need a plan- HELP, HELP!!!!


Now on to an idea that Michelle uses and I love- hers are so much more snarky than mine, but I am giving it try.

Memo to the people during level 3 snow emergencies
A level 3 snow emergency is declared when the police and safety crews determine that it is unsafe for anyone to be on the roads- including the safety crews. They tell you that you will be ticketed if you are found on the roads during the snow emergency. that should tell you to STAY HOME. Going to the donut store or to McDonald's or Big Boy is not something you should be doing. Stay home, eat a meal you cooked, spend time with your kids, pets, books, whatever- stay off the road!!!

Memo to the owners of fast food restaurants in regards to level 3 snow emergencies:
See the memo to people above. Please consider that you tell your employees that during a robbery they should give the robber anything asked for as your workers lives are more important than the money, items being stolen. So why then, are your employees' lives less important than profits during snow emergency. Why do you insist on making them drive to work, risking their lives, the lives of others and the lives of the safety crews? What makes them less important at this point than during a robbery? Shame on you Busken bakery for being open, shame on you McDonald's and Big Boy and all the other convenience stores/establishments that forced your workers to choose between coming in and having a job or staying home and losing their jobs.

Memo to the clerks at Staples:

Telling me that the cover page of my fax was free, but charging me more for the first page faxed, means that the cover page actually cost me the difference between the price of the first and second page. Having a sign a that says faxes to toll free numbers are the same price as local numbers and then charging me the price for an out of state fax is just stealing. Then to top it off, your cashier asked me if I had paid for the fax in the copy section - which I faxed while you were all in a meeting at the front cash register- so perhaps I should have told you that I paid for it in the copy section- but that would have been stealing, but seriously, if you are all in a meeting at the front of the store then it stands to reason that I did not pay in the copy section. Please pay attention to your surroundings and think about your questions.

So those are my memos today- I still think Michelle's are better. perhaps she will help me write my next one whenever that might be. It certainly helped to write these memos down though- thanks for reading them.

Love to you,
Deb AKA Momma Bug

No comments: