Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Our wekend - a recap

I am playing with Corel right now- this is a college of Bug swinging over the last 9 months- Upper left corner is fromm July 2007, Middle top is from September 2007, Upper right corner is from December 2007, and the large one is from March 2008. How he had changed.

Some how the pictures from Sunday are not on my computer- at least where I can find them- but I will try to find them.

Our weekend was packed- we pretty much had things from Thursday through Sunday!!!!!

Sunday was Uncle Dave and Aunt Laura's birthday celebration- we had home made pizza and great cake and ice cream- pretty usual for us. I was tired after hosting the celebration and the home maintenance that came before the celebration.

My dad came over and helped me service the lawn mower before the grass cutting season starts. Each year I dread this- I certainly do not keep my lawn mower to the standards that my dad has, but this year I out did myself. Last year, the lawn mower was over filled with oil (yep- I did that), the year before the air filter looked pretty bad, but this year------ The air filter looked like a bird had built a nest in it. Well, at least my dad got to lecture me on keeping things clean and organized. I think he has given up hope that I will actually scrap off the dead grass before I put the lawn mower away. Before we started on the lawn mower, we had to take apart my bath room sink as one of earrings slipped down the drain. Normally I would not have cared (because most of my earrings are easily replaced), but in this case the earring was one of the ones I bought in Guatemala on our homecoming trip. I was so upset that the earring slipped down the drain. So dad showed me how to remove the trap and there is was. I still have to sterilize it before I can wear it, but I have it.



Saturday, we had Grandpa Joe's birthday- it was combined with Artie's birthday and we had cousins and family in town that we had not seen in over 40 years (as my mom said). Way too many people for Bug and I- we hung out in the quiet room and played with cameras Bug, determined to use the real camera. He looked like cousin Jason - dressed all in black. I did have him in a Guatemalan hoodie- but it got too hot with all the people
Playing on the sofa- he was throwing himself on to the sofa- apparently the best thing to do when you are a toddler.

Friday we had a quiet evening- no pictures- Momma was feeling not so good and Bug was having his own issues- so we skipped playing with Y for the second day.


Thursday was an awesome day- the weather was great. So I packed a dinner and called Y and her mom and we took the toddlers to the park for picnic and play time.

Swinging in his favorite swing.

Y riding the seal. She is fearless. It really struck me how much more confident and assertive Y is compared with Bug. Bug was scared to do anything until he saw Y do it and even then, he still would not do things that Y did (like go down the big slide). I know he gets much more assertive as he feels comfortable and I should not compare one child to another, but I wonder if there things I can do to help Bug feel more confident in approaching new situations.
I love this picture- he really was having a good time. he was watching the big boys play basketball and he was telling me that he wanted to go play with them- they were all like 16- 20 years old, not exactly the group for him to join in with as they played full court basketball.
Telling Y to share- they both were struggling with sharing the wheel. It was cute to watch though.
Taking a walk with Y. I just love the hand holding. Bug wanted Y to hold his hand and she decided that it was OK this time. We walked the little path and looked at the stream and the leaves and rocks and the dogs and the sticks, well you get the idea- we looked at it all. I just kept looking at Bug thinking how far he had come since June. he has blossomed so much.

On that note- Bug had a pre-operation physical on Monday. He is finally 3 feet (36 inches) tall. and he weighs 28 pounds. No wonder my arms are hurting again when I carry him.
I am so happy that he finally hit 3 feet. I am not sure why I was so worried about him not getting to 3 feet and I actually realized that none of the pants from last year will fit him this Summer/Fall. but hey, that just means Tammy and I get to go yardsaling and consignment store shopping one day.

Bug seems to be doing better today- his grief is not right there on his face or in his voice. I know it is there though- just beneath the surface. He ended up going to bed early tonight because he threw water on me during his bath after being warned 2 times. And when I say threw- I mean my jeans and the floor were soaked. So he taken out, put in his PJs, had a TU and then straight to bed. he was asleep within minutes, so I definitely know that he is trying to process his emotions- he shuts down when he is overwhelmed. Sleep is a classic sign.

Our social worker is due out on Friday for our final post placement visit. I am going to speak with her on ways to work through and encourage Bug to talk/play out his emotions. I want to make sure that I am doing things correctly to let him know that it is OK to miss Popi and Momi and the girls and that I will always love him and we are always a family and that I am never going to leave him. It is so hard to watch a 2 year old struggle with emotions and situations that most adults have trouble handling. I can only love him and let him know that it is OK to feel sad.

thanks to everyone who send words of encouragement and support. Special thanks to Popi, who is dealing with the same emotions from the other side- your love and support are a blessing.

Love and hugs to you all,
Deb AKA Momma Bug

No comments: