Friday, January 4, 2008

Official in the eyes of the state of Ohio!!!!

It is all done now!!!!! at 3:03:21 pm today, Little Bug was officially recognized by the state of Ohio as my son. His name change was completed prior to this hearing- I did not realize that and now I just have to wait 12 weeks (and you all thought getting a BC in Guatemala was difficult) before I can request Little Bug's birth certificate.

This is the picture of the moment the judge stamped the document. the obligatory post adoption finalization photo with the judge. He was so cool, he had bought special paper years ago and presents each family with a certificate of adoption that can be put in memory books. He does this because, as he said, this is day that needs to be celebrated, families are forever.
I will get another copy of certified adoption decree in a few weeks, but the one from him is a special treasure.
Pap and my little guy in front of the court house. We arrived early since our hearing was scheduled for 3:30 pm and we were told not to be late since the offices/courts close at 4. I wanted to make sure we had enough time to get downtown, parked and through security before the hearing- we were 45 minutes early. Apparently, there was no case before us and the magistrate came right up when the admin indicated that we were waiting outside the courtroom.
My too cute son!!!
Momma and Nene together
After the hearing, we went out to celebrate- Little Bug loves Frisch's Big Boy because he can get the salad bar- he loves the fruit. As you can see here, he ate all his bananas in strawberry jello and he was making inroads into his papas and chicken.

he wanted some more bananas and who can refuse that face. He is so proud that he got the banana on the spoon without my help.=- they are slippery little pieces of fruit.
Pap and Little Bug coloring- Little Bug tells Pap where to color and then Pap colors there. Then Little Bug comes back to that section and colors over whatever Pap has colored.
Apparently the day was too much for Little Bug- that might be because he got us both out of bed at 4 am and refused to go back to sleep. We ended up having breakfast at 5 am and I went to work for the next 2 hours (sort of letting Little Bug know that getting out of bed early does not mean he gets a momma to play with).
Over all this is the feeling we both had today- Happy to be together, happy to be a family, happy to share with our family.
I know this day was just a formality, just a recognition of what occurred in Guatemala on 23Apr2007, but today was personal. I was asked if there was any reason the adoption should not move forward, I was asked if all my answers were truthful in the paperwork submitted and I was asked to formally accept Little Bug and all the responsibility. This was the most real part of the process. Not that the embassy did not ask some of the same questions, but now I understand what being a parent is all about, I understand the responsibility and the sacrifice it takes. And I got to speak- in Guatemala, a lawyer spoke for me to the courts, my paperwork spoke for me- here a flesh and blood person talked to me and heard my responses.
It was very very powerful. This man could have refused to sign- although he said he likes to recognition of foreign adoptions as there is no one contesting them ( I can't imagine how difficult those types of cases must be). he could have asked for more documentation (don't we all know what that is like). But in less than 5 minutes on record (more like 20 off the record), he was done.
Words do not adequately convey the powerful emotions in the room.
Little Bug is my son, my heir, my legacy to the world. He is a gift, a treasure, a little boy. He is my dream come true, my miracle, my heart.
love to you all,
Deb - Momma Bug

7 comments:

Julie said...

Congrats Deb. I'm so happy for both of you!!!! This will be one more day that you'll never forget in the life and times of being Little Bug's momma.
Julie and Nicholas

Lucky Girl said...

Congratulations!!! What a wonderful day to celebrate. How nice that the judge made that special effort to honor today.

Angie said...

Congratulations Deb!

Our Family of 5 said...

Congratulations! It's a huge step and a great feeling!

Anonymous said...

YAY! Congrats Deb & Bug! What a wonderful day! The picture of you two with the judge is so wonderful! Those big smiles say it all!
-Alice

Derek and Jennifer said...

Congrats! I remember that day with Elena too and it is an amazing day. I can recall the super happy feeling of knowing it is for real and feeling like a family. So happy for you guys! You sure do have lots of love to share and it shows!!!

Guatemama said...

Congratulations!! I can totally relate. For me Alex's readoption in 2002 was more emotional too. We had to wait a year after he came home to do it and I think that was part of it. Also the fact that it was all finally over! HAPPY FOR YOU!!!