Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How a toddler buys his toys back- Love and Logic Parenting

So here is the back story before you see the pictures:

Little Bug was given a choice on Monday evening to pick up toys before bed or let Momma pick them. He was also told, if Momma picked them up, they became Momma's toys. He choose to have Momma pick up his toys. so around the living room I went with 2 paper bags, picking up his toys, then I took them to my room and the wailing started.
But a gentle reminder that he choose to have Momma pick up the toys was all it took to stop most of the tears.

I love this love and logic parenting.


So this afternoon before I went to pick him up, I was trying to think of how he could buy his toys back from me. I even asked him what he thought he could do to get his toys back- his first response was "momma give toys" (smart kid). But I decided that we needed a clean bathroom- so I give you the toddler cleaner of bathrooms:



The big toilet (after Momma did the bulk of the cleaning- so a toddler would not happen to stick his hands in a germy place- yuck) cleaning his own toilet (which has been collecting dust since he refuses to use it)
Laughing while we swept the floor- he likes to hold the scooper.
A small portion of the toys he earned back- but the most critical toy-the Tractor (small and blue in this picture)
One happy toddler = one happy momma
I think this love and logic technique is working. yesterday, he got a choice to carry his hat and gloves or wear them, he choose to throw them on the floor- so they stayed home and Little bug got very cold when we went into the grocery store and then home. This morning I asked him if he wanted to wear his hat and gloves or carry them, he choose to carry them and he immediately put them on in the car.
Tonight I told him it was time to pick up toys before bed and he ran around pick up the toys, saying "no momma toy". He is getting it.

It is much easier for me now, I can let my emotion go since I gave him the choice (note- the choices are always things I can live with and never given in situations where he might get hurt). He likes the choices he gets to make and I ultimately get what I am looking for- a child who understands that his choices are his responsibility.

I am off to do some more work tonight.

love to you all,
Deb AKA Momma Bug

2 comments:

veggiemom said...

I've read that book as well. While I don't agree with all of it, there are many great things in it. Nice to see some of it working in real life. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Kerri and Ruby

Kathy Slattengren said...

Congratulations! You did a great job with the toy situation and finding a way for him to earn them back. Setting limits like this with him now will make parenting so much easier when he is older (at least it worked that way for us). The pre-school years were a ton of work as our kids were constantly testing limits. However, after that point, we had kids who were respectful and responsible and parenting became much easier!

- Kathy