Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sleep, oh sleep, where are you

Well, something is definitely up with Little Bug. He has has a couple of full blown tantrums over being put in his crib today. Nap time- he screamed for 30 minutes (I was in the room with him) before he went to sleep. Bedtime, he screamed for 1.5 hours (again, I was with him the entire time). I can't take this- I seriously think it is leaving him at nursery that is triggering all this- today was a step up from last Sunday's sleep issues. I don't know what to do. I rock him, I hold him, I tell him I love him- he screams every time I put him in the crib. I can not take this.

I think we are going to stop going to nursery at Church, which means I will have to stop going to Sunday School, but it all I can think of to test my theory of what is triggering this separation anxiety. I am going to call another family from church who also adopted from Guatemala and see if they saw the same issues when their son started in the nursery. The workers in nursery are wonderful and they say he is fine after he calms down when I leave him, but I think he has a memory of being left when we were on our homecoming trip and no matter how much I tell him I love him and I am coming back, he just knows that I walk out the nursery door and leave him with strangers.

Well, maybe he will sleep late tomorrow morning since it was 10 pm before he feel asleep. I am going to bed.

Love to you,
Momma Bug

2 comments:

Resplendentquetzal said...

Unfortunately, our little one, Ché had some rough days after starting day care. He only goes one day a week, but those days are still tough! He actually goes to bed early, I think from stress, but what do you do? It has taken since June for him to calm down about us leaving him at DayCare, so you may have to stick with the Nursery for awhile until he figures out that you are coming back. Hang in there, and remember: Mommas sleep when Babies Sleep.

Anonymous said...

Deb,

I would be hesitant to say the tantrums were due to the nursery. Elianna has this same behavior...absolutely HATES being put in her crib most nights. She will usually sleep just fine in her pack and play. I have yet to figure out a solution. She will occasionally sleep in her room if lights are on, ceiling fan running or music playing. I've tried sitting with her, sleeping on the floor, sitting outside her room and many other ideas but still crib-resistant. UGH! Part of it may be some inconsistency on my part so we will be going to a strict schedule, at least for a while, to see if that helps. Good luck in solving the sleep issues and don't give up your Sunday school class if that gives you some balance and joy. You're a good mommy and will figure this out.

Love,
Aidan's future MIL