Monday, September 24, 2007

Little Bug learns some new skills

So, the Little Bug is 25.5 months old- what should he know how to do or what shouldn't he know how to do?
The good skills:
1. This weekend, he started saying 3 word sentences- he grabbed my arm and hugged it tight and told me "I got you"- too cute for words.
2. He has started swinging on everything- the stove (no-no), from the table (sort of ok), from luggage carts (definitely OK). I think I am going to have to break down and buy him a swing set for the backyard, just so he has things to hang off of.
3. SLEEPING thru the night. Yes, we have had 3 nights of Little Bug sleeping through the night. Momma has not slept through the night yet, but he has and I am so excited.
The Bad skills:
1. Unfastening one side of his diaper- which then creates an "accident" when he goes pee-pee. Yes, twice now he has done this. So we headed off to Target this evening to stock up on underwear because potty training is going to start in earnest this weekend. Hopefully 18 pairs of underwear will last a week, otherwise, I can see doing laundry every night. He is starting with pull-ups this week and next and then moving to underwear under the diaper after that (someone said it works- I am willing to try it).

So all of that said to point out to me, that there are more pluses than minuses. I feel like I have been focusing on the negative too much and I am loosing sight of the good things going on. So, hold me accountable- I want to share the good things, the little victories, I don't want to only see the negatives and be so focused on the future or what might have been that I miss the todays- the little moments that are impossible to get back.

Another topic: What the heck do you get a 2 year old for Christmas? Yes, I am thinking about Christmas already. Lists were due to family members yesterday. Everyones' lists were ready except Little Bug.
I am really torn- I don't want to buy him toys just to buy him toys- he has plenty- he has some he never plays with. I don't think he needs any clothes- he wears about 1/4 of the clothes he has now- he certainly doesn't need more. Is is acceptable to just give him one gift and donate money to an organization working in Guatemala in his name? It seems like a good idea to me- but I think I am going to be judged as a bad momma if I do that. What is wrong with saying- we have enough, actually we have more than enough and we should give to those who don't have enough? Maybe Little Bug just needs some crayons and paper for Christmas- maybe I don't need anything? Maybe giving a donation in his name is a better choice and will make a difference in someone's life- perhaps it will save a life?

Thoughts?

Love to you,
Momma Bug

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is perfectly fine to say "enough toys". The only reason I would think ok with new toys is she will be heading into a different developmental stage and could use a few things geared toward that. I know the family is excited to get her toys so I don't want to kill that excitement for them either but we really don't need anything. I plan to request family buy very few toys and consider making a donation instead. I would absolutely LOVE it if we could send money to Guatemala in lieu of more stuff we really don't need.

Aidan's future MIL