Saturday, September 8, 2007

Fun and Surprises!!

It is Saturday and finally some fun and excitement at Little Bug's House.

This morning started off with errands to the post office to mail out a package for Mireya and family, then home to get things organized for the afternoon of fun at the Hispanic festival. While getting things organized, Little Bug was playing and I needed to go downstairs and get a piece of clothing out of the dryer. I told Little Bug I would be right back, ran down the stairs, shutting the door behind me so he would not fall down the stairs. Well, he locked me in the basement!!!!! Yep- those child proof safety knobs on the door handle leave the locking mechanism open to little fingers and he sure knows how to use them. He would not unlock the door- I could have gotten out the of the basement through the outside door, but I knew the front door and patio door were also locked. So I did what any new mother would, I panicked and kicked the door in!! It did take 2 kicks- and I scared Little Bug alot, but I got to him and out of the basement. And, I learned a few things-
1. a phone is definitely needed in the basement- so I can call Pap.
2. a front door hidden in the basement is even better.
3. I will be replacing the basement door with something much more sturdier- a burglar could have been through the door and into the house before I actually got out of bed.

So after that little adventure, I was not in the best of moods and figured our day was shot. But, after picking up my sister and shopping for some quilting fabric, we made it to the Hispanic festival. It was hot, humid, very sunny and not quite what I expected. Little Bug played some games with me. Here we are playing Lotto (Bingo) with dried pinto beans- Little Bug was determined to eat the beans. he won a sucker. I don't let him have suckers normally, but I made an exception.
Here we are "fishing" for prizes. Can't you tell that he was totally into the whole thing. He did like the crayons that he caught.
In front of the fire truck- still working on the sucker. I think it took him an hour to finish the sucker.
Hanging with the princessa. There were 3 girls and I was hoping for a picture of Little Bug with all 3, but the other 2 left and Little Bug refused to stand with the princessa without Momma.

I was hoping to hear some live music- there was none at the time we were there (2 hours total), but they were setting up for the bands. I had hoped for more vendors, there were a few and nothing that really caught my eye. I loved the food- we ate fresh mango with lime and salt and Little Bug and I ate a tamale from the Guatemala booth. My sister took one bite of the tamale and decided she was done. We also tried Tres Leche Cake and all 3 of us loved it. I think I will try to make one for Little Bug's next birthday or I will order one from the bakery. There were lots of things for the older children to do- just nothing for the little ones like Little Bug. Some friends are going tomorrow so I am interested to see how their experience is.
We went back to my sister's house and I laid on the couch to rest, while resting with my eyes closed, I could hear Little Bug getting stickers and feel him put them on me- pretty usual for him- he is always decorating me and himself with stickers that I give him. My sister decided that you all needed a picture of decorating that Little Bug did- he placed the stickers on my chin and forehead, I put the one on my nose (it had been on my cheek). He usually gets upset if I move the stickers, but he did not care this time.
We went to dinner with my sister, her husband and my niece. Little Bug got to put pennies into the fountain. Most kids throw the pennies in, he was determined to just drop them in and then he wanted to pull them back out.

We got home and I got him ready for bed and we checked the mail. There was a package form friends who had just gotten back from Guatemala and in it was the package that they carried back from Guatemala.
Here is Little Bug's birthday present from Senor Carlos, Mireya, Susi, Karla and Andrea.

Excited to open the package

ELMO!!!!!!
Hanging with Elmo, and the 2 tee shirts. The tee shirts have pictures of Little Bug with his first family- so wonderful to see. He also got a drawing that Andrea did of him. The drawing is saved in a box so that he always has it. I will try to get it framed and put on the wall for him- Thank you so much.
Little Bug was not too sure about the Elmo- he had to sit on the couch and watch- yes it is a Tickle Me Elmo (in Spanish). It took about 20 times before he even reached for it and he still will not start it himself. I think this is going to daycare with him on Monday- consider it an early intervention for the drum set his cousin K is planning on giving him for Christmas!!
Still not too sure about it. He was happy to watch and have Momma press the buttons, but he preferred to be on the couch away from Elmo. Of course, by bedtime, he wanted Elmo to come sleep in the crib with him. We compromised, Elmo is on the bookshelf next to the bed instead of in the bed.
Well that is all for today- what started out on a bad note became an all around good day. Little Bug loves his Elmo and his tee-shirts. Thank you so much for thinking of him and sending these wonderful presents to him.

Love to you,
Momma Bug

No comments: