Wednesday, February 4, 2009

More SNOW and 1st official ear infection

Bug has been sick for a week- more on that below. Today, he stayed home with me and I got some good pictures of him, Sleeping from exhaustion- coughing and a runny nose really wear a boy out.

He was snoring too. I had conference calls today and he was sleeping in the office. I was certain that his snoring would be on the call,but instead he started talking in his sleep. Thankfully, my phone has a mute button so I could prevent my colleagues from hearing him

This morning, he was in and out of my office in this outfit. He did a great job of being quiet this morning while I was on calls. He watched Toy Story and then watched Noggin before coming in to play cars on the floor behind me in the office.
At one point this morning, I reached over to give him a hug and my hand brushed his ear- he screamed in pain. So with that I was finally allowed to get a doctor appointment for him. Here are the details:
Last week, he started with a runny nose, congestion and coughing, and rubbing his eyes. I tried the humidifier in his room, some benadryl, and lots of fluids. No luck there. So I called the doctor's office to see if there was anything else I could do or if I should bring him in. The nurse said no because he did not have a fever and he was not vomiting. She mentioned that he needed to have a fever for 7 days before I could bring him in!!!!!
So I have watched him get sicker and sicker. The fever started this weekend and by alternating Motrin and Tylenol, I could keep his fever down. he basically stopped eating, but continued to drink anything and everything offered to him.
I kept him home today because of the snow (see pictures below). When I touched his ear and he screamed, I knew it was an ear infection. So I called to get a doctor appointment and was lucky to get one today.
When I got to the office, the nurse (not the same one as last week) asked me why I did not bring him in last week. I relayed what I was told by the other nurse and she went through the roof. She proceeded to tell me that I should have brought him, he was sick and I needed tell the other nurse that I was bringing in my son anytime I felt like it. YIKES
Then the doctor came in and took one look at Bug's ear and it was official- Bug has an ear infection. The doctor then proceeded to tell me that until the fever comes out, there is no point in bringing Bug in.
I AM CONFUSED!!!!
I guess from here on out, I am going to go with my gut instinct and get an appointment no matter what.
Bug is staying home tomorrow- he did not like the medicine the doctor prescribed, so we did not get a full dose in. Interesting, I worked on this drug when I worked in Michigan at PD. It might seem silly, but I am excited that Bug is on this med, I know it works.


So yesterday, the weather forecasters said we were going to get 1-2 inches of snow. BUT

we got 6 more inches!!!!!!




The snow really started in earnest at 3 pm and rush hour was a disaster. It took some folks 4 hours to get home where it normally takes them 20 minutes. Thankfully, we were safe at home. When I listened to the radio this morning, the roads were still a mess and Bug was feeling really sick, so I kept him home- good thing too with how sick he really was.

So that is our day. Bug is hanging on the couch now- watching some TV, refusing to let me love on him. Hopefully he will feel better tomorrow.
Love to you,
Deb

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

I hope he feels better soon!!

Angie said...

I can't believe you were told to wait 7 days! They can tell he has an ear infection early on just by looking in his ears. He shouldn't have to suffer for so long. Please don't wait again. If you think it is more than a cold, always take him in, just to be sure. That crazy nurse! I wanna smack her.

Ann said...

Hugs to Bug...we know how miserable ear infections can be. I dumped E's first Pediatrician because his office told me to call back if her fever went up again from a 106 degree fever. Uhhh, NO, I don't think so...I called MY doctor. He took one look at her ears, heard about her numerous ear infections and sent us to an ENT pronto. Trust you gut and NEVER be afraid to be overly cautious. The doctors and nurses will get over it.

I just asked E if she wanted to send Bug a message. She said, "it's okay, it not hurt" (meaning it will get better)

:-)

Deb said...

Angie-

Actually with Bug, they seldom can see his ear drums- he is a wax maker. usually they think he has ear infection, can't see the ear drums and they bring in he tools to irrigate his ears- which of course leads to a huge scene and I refuse to allow it.
Today, they could see the ear drum in one ear but not the other.

But, I will never wait again.

Love to you,