Monday, February 16, 2009

Compassion International

These are my Compassion Kids.

Rosa is turning 17 this year. I was matched with her when she was 5 years old. It has been amazing to watch her grow up through pictures. I have been able to write to her and she sends letter once a quarter. She is an amazing young lady- lots of smiles, lots of spirit and a heart as big as the world.
Jose is 15 this year. I have been matched with him for just over a year now. Bug and I were able to meet Jose on our trip back to Guatemala. That experience changed my life. Jose would like to be a graphic designer. He has a great talent for drawing.

This is Norma. She is 14 this year. I have been matched with her for just over a year too. Actually, I choose her the same night I choose Jose. We were supposed to meet her on our trip back to Guatemala, but the mix up prevented that. Perhaps next time.


This is Byran. He is 12 this year. He and Jose attend the same Compassion project. We have been matched for 2 weeks.




I never imagined sponsoring 4 kids at one time, I had planned on sponsoring one child through school and then sponsoring another and so on. But Bug's adoption changed all that. Learning more about Guatemala, about the challenges the children face every day and knowing that for one choice, Bug could be one of these children, I had to do something. I sat last Christmas and realized that I could not ignore these children and I could not ignore the call on my heart to do more for Guatemala. So on Christmas Day, I sat looking at the pictures. I thought then, that I would sponsor 2 children who would age out of the Compassion program just as Bug was entering school. Then once Bug entered school, we would sponsor a little boy, who would be the same age as Bug. Then they could write through school- sharing the experiences from different perspectives.
That all changed when we met Jose this year. Jose spoke about his first sponsor- who in 9 years had never once written to Jose. No letters of encouragement, no chance to share prayers, no relationship. That is not what I wanted. Now these pictures are on our frig- Bug knows their names, we pray for them and we pray for the kids.

I have been reading a book "too small to ignore"- it is a reminder of what my dad always said about kids when I was growing up "this is our future". My dad did not mean it nicely, but it he got it right- children are our future. Without an education- the cycle of poverty can not be broken. Without food, the cycle of poverty can not be broken, without encouragement, the cycle of poverty can not be broken. Compassion gives children schooling, food, sponsors give the encouragement.
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor or if you just want to help out with disaster relief, global food programs- then go here:
There are many ways to help out.
Love and hugs,
Deb






1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Deb, I know what you mean when you say the children of Guatemala are in your heart!! I felt a calling to and I'm so glad to be doing Project Santa for the third year!!! The kids are remarkable and looking into their eyes they have quite a story to tell!! You can check out more info on my new blog at
www.heart4children.blogspot.com