Monday, August 4, 2008

Prayers for my neighbor

Today while I was working, a flash of light caught my eye out the window. The fire department had pulled up across the street and the lights were on, but no sirens.

I figured they were there for one of the construction guys who had been tearing up another neighbors yard- with the heat and humidity today, our area is under a heat and smog alert. I g=figured one of the guys had gotten dehydrated and collapsed. But I was wrong. The ambulance soon arrived and the stretcher was wheeled up to my neighbor, Debbie's house. I near feel out of my chair in shock. Debbie is about 10 years older me, about 50-55. She is suffering from early onset Parkinson's disease and it is very aggressive. last year was the last time I have seen her sitting on the porch, the year before that she was out every day. After the ambulance drove off with her, I walked over to our other neighbor to see if she knew what had happened. Apparently, Debbie was having chest pains and with her condition, they were not taking any chances. Her son and husband were home, thank God.

I just feel so sad for her- the life she and her husband had planned for their retirement is not going to happen, the joy of seeing her son graduate and her being able to be there and support him is slipping away as this insidious disease robs her of her life. And now, who knows what this latest development will bring.

I think about how excited she was to see Bug's pictures each month during the process, how she encouraged me to hold on to hope, how her son was there cutting my grass while I visited Bug, how she was the first neighbor over to meet Bug when he came home. How she loved to watch him ride on the sidewalk and how she always had time to talk with him and let Bug pet her dogs. I think about how long it has been since I have seen her outside and how I know each day is getting harder and harder for her. I think about how she is just about 10 years older than me.

Please pray for Debbie- just that God's mercy is covering her. I wish for a miracle that she will be healed, I hope for it, but sometimes the reality is that mercy is all you have. God's mercy to get you through the hard days and nights. God's mercy to carry you to safety, God's mercy to comfort you. And mercy is enough.

Love and hugs to you all,
Deb

1 comment:

Ann said...

I am stopping by again to bestow the "Brillante Weblog" award to you. Visit my blog for more info. :-)

Momma Bug and Little Bug...YOU ROCK!

A