Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Heart Stopping moments

Before you read the details or see the pictures- just know BUG is fine.


So today started off like any other day- up and out the door by 7 am. I was back working at my desk by 7:35 am, running reports, posting reports, etc.

heart stopping moment 1:
At 9 am, the call came from my sister "Bug has been in accident, do you want to meet me here at my house or do you want to meet us at Children's Hospital". I tell her I am on my way to her house
heart stopping moment 2:
By 9:20 am, I am nearing her exit on the interstate (she lives 20 minutes from me if traffic is good) and I get another call. This time it is my mom "where are you, your sister is trying to find you". I quickly say that I am near the exit and I am almost there and hang up- this is serious if my mom is trying to track me down.
heart stopping moment 3:
10 seconds after I hang up the phone, the phone rings again- my mom utters "oh S**T when she hears my voice, I hang up panicking, this is not good.
heart stopping moment 4:
I round the corner onto my sister's street and see a police car and ambulance in front of her house with lights flashing.

I park the car, run into the house and it is packed with people- a policeman, 2 EMT/firefighters, my brother-in-law, my nephew and my sister. Some one has Bug, I can not remember who, but he is put in my arms and he and both start crying. After I calm down, the EMT talks to me, it looks like just soft tissue injury, they can take him to Children's hospital or I can take him home. I am going with no one else is really panicking, so no trip to the hospital (I found out later form Lisa, we should have gone, just in case).

the story-
Bug was playing on the couch with a puzzle, my sister was hanging something on the back of the basement door and the hammer dropped to the floor. It bounced on the carpet and hit Bug in the head right above his eye.

He is doing fine- we saw his doctor this afternoon- it is just soft tissue injury, so he will have a huge bump on his forehead and it will look ugly in a few days. I guess there are no professional pictures for us in the next few weeks. He did take a nap today and was hard to wake up, but the doctor and I attribute that to the fact that he was 1 hour into his normal 2 hour nap and the stress of the morning/injury. He is eating foods and drinking lots- all signs that he is doing fine.

we had lots of cuddle time today, we even napped together because momma was too scared to let him out of her sight. I thought at first I would be able to work after he came home, but reality set in once we walked in the door and I put on the Cars movie for him and then went to email work. he was too quiet, and with my office now being back in the spare bedroom, I was so scared that he would fall sleep and something would happen- like he would not wake up- sign of a major concussion. So no work for me today- although I have to go work now that he is in bed for the night.

I think my heart is still not recovered from this scare. I know that accidents happen, and this was an accident, but the image of the police and ambulance sitting in front of my sister's house is forever burned into my mind- I will probably have dreams about this for a long time. I was so scared and so powerless to take his pain and fear away.

So on to the pictures

This is right after we got home, follow the stray hair down his forehead and you can see the bump
This is the mark that the hammer made
As you can see- he is not too happy and is in pain


Tonight before bed- about 10 hours later. Holding an ice pack on his forehead while I was reading him stories.
Showing off the bump- it is starting color up, it has not grown much since the morning, but it has not gone either. I have been told by Lisa to expect him to be more pain tomorrow,s o he got some Motrin before bed and he will get Motrin right when he wakes up. If we can keep him dosed up, the pain should be manageable. i think though, there is not gymnastics for us tomorrow night.
So that was our adventure today- lots of heart stopping moments. I am off to run reports and metrics for work.
Love and hugs to you all,
Deb

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor guy! Glad he is ok. I can only imagine how LONG that drive was for you....

Mamita J said...

Oh Deb!

I'm so glad he is okay. Your poor heart must have raced and stopped and raced and stopped with that incident.

Praying Little Bug gets through tomorrow with less pain than expected.

Love,
Julie

Angie said...

Wow, that was scary indeed! Poor Bug. Be prepared, Deb...boys are full of scary moments ;-)

Derek and Jennifer said...

So glad that he is okay and it was not more serious. I can only imagine what it was like for you too. I pray today is not to painful for Bug.

Katie said...

You poor things !! Hugs !!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to God, were not nothing burdens, I imagine the scare that had when seeing the ambulance and police, this alters to anyone. We know that you and their family takes care of very well to Aidan and this is not but that an accident, we hoped that both recover. Many kisses in its small head, in Guatemala we say here “it heals, it heals, colita of frog, if it does not heal today healed tomorrow"...
Hugs and kisses for both…
Popi Carlos, Momi Mireya and sisters.
(We used translator)