Friday, August 8, 2008

Olympic Fever

The Olympics have started!!!!!!

I am so excited, ever since I saw Nadia Comaneci in 1976, I have been hooked on the Olympics. before Bug, I would schedule vacation during the Olympics so i could stay up late and watch the competition. So, now with Bug, what do you think I did?

Well vacation could not be scheduled for this coming week (I love the gymnastics competition), but I am staying up late. I let Bug stay up until 9:30 pm (2 hours after his usual bedtime) and we watched all the opening presentation. Bug loved the drums at the beginning. He told me while watching that he was 'going to do that at the Olympics". I assured him that I would be in the crowd taking pictures of him at the Olympics.

he talked through the entire opening presentation, so I figured at he could skip the parade of nations.

I will say, I am not liking the US coverage of the Olympics already- I loved the Canadian broadcasts- no commercials!!!!!!!! The whole opening ceremony was disjointed, I would get into the emotion of the presentation and then a commercials Even Bug was not happy with the commercials. You think they could do better. And then, no high definition broadcast of it on my local cable provider.

Oh well, gymnastics starts tomorrow- I think the US men have a huge uphill battle. I am pulling for Germany and Canada in individual medals, I think China will win the team medal for the men. On Sunday the women's competition will start- I am picking the US for the gold. I am interested to see how Australia and Romania do. It should be a fun week.

Love and hugs to you,
Deb

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I love love LOVE the parade of nations! (No surprise, I'm sure.) I was quite offended at Matt L's little joke about the Guatemalan flag bearer not having a chance at a medal. Can't we just be happy for all of these athletes? Whether they win a medal or not, just making it to this level is a huge accomplishment. (The commentaries are SO not good.)