Friday, October 19, 2007

Toddler, Football, Tornados

So tonight, I took Little Bug to his first American Football game. Cousin J. plays in the High School Marching Band and it is tradition that we go see one game a year when the cousins (in my case, niece or nephew is in Marching Band). I waited a tad too long this year and the weather was definitely on the almost too cold for a toddler side of things, but still it was fun. The pictures are in reverse order.

This is from the beginning of the night- the band marches in before the game. Cousin J is on the end on crutches (he did something bad to his knee). Thankfully he is in the Pit Crew- so he does not have an instrument to carry during march out. This is from the half time show- Cousin J is the one in front of the huge (BIGGGGGGG) DRUMMMMM as Little Bug says.
This is during the show again- The band does a good job for being a small school. Many of the kids in band have dual roles on Football night: band members, cheerleader, photographer, etc.
Another shot of the show. We left after the half time show ended. The team was winning 21-7 right before half time and Little Bug and I were getting cold.
The football players warming up before the game. Notice the big sign on the barn next to the field. We actually saw the kids climbing on the roof to put the sign up.

Little Bug all bundled up. The weather was in the low 60s degrees- but it was very, very windy, making it seem colder. Little Bug has a tee shirt, a long sleeve turtle neck shirt, a fleece jacket and mittens on- additionally, he sat wrapped in a blanket most of the night on Momma's lap. Cousin K on the other hand, decided that she only needed a long sleeve shirt and a hoodie. She was freezing cold by the time we left.
Little Bug all excited to be watching FOOTBALLLLLLL. He liked the running, kicking and throwing. I think I should expect all these activities to happen in the house over the next few days- he certainly got ideas.
Sitting with Momma- with Uncle D in the background.
Right before Half time- all bundled and enjoying the game. We kept trying to get him to clap when the band played. He would wait until they were done and then he would clap.

In anticipation of Halloween- I give you Little Bug as MeMe. He really like the costume, this just happened to be Tuesday night when he was getting sick.
Toddler swimming in the bath tub. I am not sure he has enough bath toys (that is a joke). I am trying to figure why he needs so many- but he enjoys them all.
Little Bug came home hating to get water on his face- now he squirts himself in the face multiple times during his bath and laughs about it.

Another shot of him squirting himself.
And finally, a picture with Uncle Dave who was in town for a day doing interviews.
So on to Tornadoes.
Thursday night, we had some pretty severe storms come through and there was a potential for tornadoes. Prior to Little Bug coming home, I would have gone to bed, maybe woken up when the sirens went off, but most likely I would have just rolled over and gone back to sleep. But now that Little Bug is home, everything changed.
I watched the weather channel for an hour as the storms were coming toward us, then I watched the local news and packed up all the adoption documents and important photos in case we had to head to the basement. Then when the sirens went off after I had gone to bed, I got up and watched more coverage of the storms. While I was watching, I realized that while I was counting on the electricity not going out, if the electricity did go out, I had no flash lights in the house with good batteries- I have 3 flash lights but the batteries are all dead in them. Then I started worrying about us being trapped in the basement if a tornado went through. There is food in the freezer chest, but there is no bottled water. What would I do?
Now I think I am going to have to stock some bottled water in the basement- we normally drink tap water. I am going to buy a flash light that you hand crank, I am going to get a safe deposit box for all the adoption documents and copies of the photo CDs and I am going to prepare a place for us to retreat to if there is a tornado.
Thankfully the worst of the storms went south of us, and there were no tornadoes in our area. But now I am worried - how will I get Little Bug safely through bad weather? NOTE: he slept through everything. Maybe that is a lesson for me?
Well, I am tired- so I am off to bed.
Love to you all,
Momma Bug

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my goodness -- that sounds scary but at least you have a back up plan !!

Kristen and the Gang said...

Hi to "THE BUGS"!!!! Thanks for stopping by OUR blog and I am glad we found yours! Your son is adorable and it looks like it was a great game!