Thursday, October 18, 2007

One semi-sick Little Bug

Well, no pictures again- but in my defense- Little Bug has been sick (again).

Tuesday night I was all set for battle royale on the blanket front, but he surprised me by going to bed and not moving his blankets- I should have had a clue that something was up. When I went in to check him at 10:30 pm- he was glassy eyed, wide awake and burning up with a fever. His temperature was 102 degrees F. I gave him medicine and rocked him for 45 minutes while his fever went down.
He went back to sleep and I was up most of the night worrying about him. In the morning, his fever was gone, but I gave him some medicine. His daycare provider called at 12 noon- he had a temperature - it was back up to 102 degrees. So I took him to the doctors office where they diagnosed an infection.
Today he is back to normal after being on medicine for 24 days. As a matter of fact, he is yelling down the hallway for me to bring him a tissue (which is an excuse to have me put his blankets back on him). He pulled them back up and then when I walked in, he pushed them down to the bottom of the bed. Well, his door is shut and he is calling out and I am not responding. We have had 20 minutes of this and I am hoping that he is getting tired.

Update: he screamed for a tissue and I checked on him- blankets are back on and he really wanted a tissue.

I hate doing this to him, but I am drained and upset by the time he finally falls asleep and then I have a heard time relaxing so I can sleep, so for us both, it is time to make changes. He needs to learn how to go to sleep on his own and not rely on me for all his sleep needs- it is not that I am not near him, it is just that this routine has gone on too long and is no longer about attachment, but more about "how to delay bedtime". It is time to start with some independent behaviors and pulling blankets back up is a first step. Of course, by morning, he will have pushed all the blankets off of him.

I am sure I will get flack from some people about the way I am handling this situation. But to be honest, I am doing what is best for Aidan and me. Each family, each child, each parent is different and what works for one person will not necessarily work for another.

Hopefully, I will have some pictures tomorrow.

Love to you,
Momma Bug

5 comments:

Christina said...

No flack here...I respect your decision to do whats best for you and little bug. I too have to do that quite alot with my Aiden. Good luck.

Julie said...

Deb -
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with bedtime. Don't worry about what anyone thinks. You hit the nail on the head... You need to do what is best for the two of you and only you know what that is. For the record, from what I'm reading, I think you're handling a difficult situation great. Good luck on this front. As for your dad, glad that he's home. Happy, healing thoughts are heading his direction.
Julie

Dawn said...

No flames here either. The fact is, if mom isn't resting, the family doesn't function well. My thoughts are with ya!
d:)

Derek and Jennifer said...

I think you are doing the best thing. There is such as thing as parents intuition and I think yours is in full swing. We had to make the same call and are so glad we did. Wishing you the best in this trying time.

Katie said...

Yes I agree -- whatever works best for you and little bug is the right answer !!