Monday, October 15, 2007

Blankets, blankets every where

So no pictures tonight- I might have some tomorrow to post back to this post.

One of the things I was told- by Little Bug's first family, is that he does not blankets. I agree with that- he really does not like to sleep with blankets on him. But that said, I still put blankets on him- trying to get him used to them by the time winter rolls in. Recently, blankets have become a power struggle for us- I put them on him, say good night and leave the room. He sits up, pushes them to the bottom of the bed and then calls for me to put the blankets back on him. I have stood there and watched him do this. This can go on for 30 minutes. I am at my wits end with this one.

I have done the "go back in and put them on him", I have also done the "no, momma is not putting the blankets back on you" which gets me a screaming 2 year old who then wants a tissue for his runny nose. I hate the fact that bedtime has become so negative. I hate the fact that I have to seem cold to him by not putting the blankets on him- but if I start putting blankets on him after he pushes them off- he laughs at the game.

So what to do? how to approach this? This is a2 year old thing, not an attachment thing and this single momma does not like how stressed she is at bedtime any more.

Love to you,
Momma Bug

4 comments:

veggiemom said...

Maybe ask him if he wants blankets or not. By giving him the choice, you can't be the bad guy anymore.
Kerri and Ruby

Angie said...

Maybe you could try to take the blanket from him when he pushes it off the first time. Then let him scream for a minute, take the blanket back in again and explain that if he wants it back, he needs to leave it on. You may have to repeat the process, keeping the blanket for longer periods of time until he "gets it". Good luck.

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Let me know when you find out what to do. Maya is the same way. I go into her room a dozen times a night just to cover her. She starts kicking and screaming. I really don't think she ever wakes up but she moves until the blanket is GONE!!!

Katie said...

Honestly , I would just put the warm footsie PJ's on him and be done with the battle . You can't reason with 2 yr olds .....(as I am sure you noticed:) once they hit 3 yrs you can start to reason a little bit more -- Good Luck !!!