Tuesday, September 2, 2008

House Hunters Intern@tional

This week on one of my favorite cable TV stations they are showing folks buying vacation houses in other countries. Last night it was Nicaragua and tonight it is Costa Rica. Maybe one day they will show Guatemala.

That is my dream- that I could buy a house in Guatemala and live there. not sure where, I have only seen Guatemala City and Antigua, but it is a dream. Barring that dream coming true, I have 2 other fall back dreams:
1. A bunch of us single moms buy a house in Guatemala and treat it like a time share- so probably not going to happen
2. Bug and I live for a summer in Guatemala- this is the plan for the year that Bug turns 10, so I have 7 more years to pay off the adoption debt and save for the summer trip.

Currently as things stand, I could work from Guatemala, but we are talking 7 years down the road and things could change drastically by then.

Of course, i could always just plan to retire to Guatemala in another 30 or so years. maybe the safest plan?

But as I watch these shows on house hunting overseas, I am absolutely struck by how wedded these American couples are to the American dream house. It contrasts starkly with the shows where it is European couples looking for a house- they find 2 bedroom/2 bath flats (apartments) with 650 square feet and are estatic. The Americans are appalled at the lack of space, lack of conveniences, lack of everything. I wonder, if they are moving to another country to experience that country, why are they insistent that things be exactly like what they are leaving behind in the US?

Just my thoughts.

Love and hugs to you,
Deb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny about your comments on the house hunters program. I watch that every night my self and am thinking the same thing. Wow those places are small.