Thursday, September 4, 2008

It is almost 10 pm and Bug is still wide awake

Bug and I went to the mall to night to play with Y and T. We wanted to go to the pool to swim, but that part of the story is after the pictures.

Bug loving on the horse. Climbing on the house- just before Easter, Bug and Y were playing on the same house and Bug could not climb over the edge, now little man is all about climbing. He was climbing or trying to climb everything.
Y and Bug riding the horse
having a good time
And holding hands as they get pushed down the mall. Too cute!!!
And yes, Bug is still wide awake at 10 pm- he is refusing to go to sleep- saying he is scared. I tried the suggestions from my agency's board- put a lamp in his room and leave that one instead of his nightlight- but I think that is what is keeping him awake. So his lamp is now off and his nightlight is back on. This is ridiculous. I realize that there is something scaring him, real or imagined, but this nightly occurrence of trying to stay awake later each night is wearing thin. I am not sure what else to do, I am reassuring him that I love him, that we will always be a family, but something else is going on his mind and unfortunately, he does not have the words to express it.
Another friend recommended a story approach, so I am going to try that- but not tonight because I am not in a happy momma mood right now given his lack of rest and sleep. So tomorrow night is the plan.


************************************************************************
Swimming pool story-

I belong to the Y here in our area. T just joined the YMCA too. We were going to go swimming with the kids tonight, but the Y's schedule would not allow it.
The Y closest to me has 3 pools- one outdoor, one indoor pool called the the program pool and an indoor waterpark. The outdoor pool closed on Monday evening for the year. The program pool is only for swim classes and the indoor water park is under renovations thru this coming Monday.
T lives close to another Y that we could go to, again that has 3 pools.
The outdoor pool there is only open until 6 pm for swimming, so we would have gotten there, gotten changed and maybe got 15 minutes of swim time before we had to get out. The program pool is only for swim lessons and the indoor waterpark is under renovations until Monday.

So here is my thought- Why would the Y put the waterpark under renovation just as the outdoor pool closes, leaving no pool for families to enjoy? Why not close the water park in July, when the outdoor pool is still open and the program pool is available so that families can swim in the evening? Also, why renovate all the waterparks at the same time, staggering them so that folks can go to another location close by while their home Y is being is renovated seems so much more practical. I just don't get it?

Next question for the Y- what do you have against single parents or families where both parents work?
I wanted to sign Bug up for swim classes this term, but the classes he is age eligible for are all during the day- 4 days to choose from, but all from 9:30-10 am. While I appreciate that there are stay at home parents, God knows I wish I could be one, single parents and families where both parents work also would like to have swim lessons for their toddler. It pretty much goes for every class for his age group- they are scheduled during work hours. Except of course Gymnastics, but that class ends at 8 pm, which again assumes that the child gets to sleep late in the morning which is not the case for many families I know.
So what gives with scheduling at the Y and the not so pointed way classes exclude single and working parents from participating?

OK, I am stepping off my soap box tonight- I think Bug is finally asleep- 2.5 hours after going to bed.

Love and hugs to you,
Deb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb~

I feel your pain re: the pool issue. We belong to the Y here and ALL the pools are closed city wide for the next 2 weeks for maintenance and cleaning - ARGH!!!

~caryn