Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Normalacy- where are you???

I think Bug and I are trying to find our "normal" - in the last 2 weeks, we have had precious little normal time.


It struck me this week as I we dealt with this aftermath of Hurricane Ike, just how much we are creatures of habit, of our normal.
Sunday was lovely with Bug and I hanging out at the house, playing on the floor. But when it came to dinner, Bug and I were both at a loss. Typically I cook a hot meal, but without a heating source and thawed meat, we were stuck. Bedtime was early for both of us and unsettling to Bug. We have had the AC on for the last few months and with the windows open, he heard the crickets and other bugs. He was unsettled by this noise. The silence on Sunday and Monday was incrediable, without the hum of electricity, there is lots to listen too, but voices carry at night (hello neighbors next door).
Monday was an exercise in trying to find things to entertain/occupay a toddler. Raking leaves, walking through the neighborhood helped pass the time. But meals were the same thing over and over and Bug was not eating peanut butter no matter how hungry he was. He wanted his life back to normal, back to his routinue. It was hard to watch his struggle and it still is. The noises from outside at night scared him, too much that was new or out of context for him. When the power came back on Monday afternoon, he was relieved, but he still was overwhelmed.

I was struck by how much I started stressing about gas for my car, for our food choices. Normal is not having to worry about these things, theya re always there when I want them.
When I went to the grocery store on Tuesday, I was amazed at empty shelves. Like I expected the shelves to be magically full of food again.
I remember thinking this morning as I dropped Bug off, I just want a fountain diet coke from MickeyD's. then everything will be back to normal. But MickeyD's was not serving this morning and so I spent the day thinking about that want. What did a diet coke have to do with being back to norma?- but it hit me tonight, having a diet coke in the morning is part of my routinue and without the routinue, I am not in my normal place in my life. So tomorrow, maybe I can get a diet coke and all will be normal in my life.

But, as much as I know that my life will return to normal, I also realize that there are folks in TX who have no idea when their normal will return, or if it will ever return. Folks who may come home to thier house and will find it gone along with all their possessions. Folks, who lost loves ones and who might never know where their loves one are due to flooding. We all want normal and we all have a rountinue to our lives and when something happens that upsets our normal, it takes a long time to find normal again or to develop a new normal.

So Bug and I are trying to find our normal again- maybe we'll find it soon. we hope and pray that if you are struggleing with your normal, that you find it soon too.

Love and hugs to you,
Deb

1 comment:

Angie said...

Hmmmm, a thought provoking post.