Friday, September 5, 2008

A busy Friday

Today Bug and I completed one of the final remaining steps in the adoption process. We got his social security card changed into his name. We left Auntie Lulu's house at 12 noon and got to the Federal building at 12:20. At 1:45, we left the Federal building with all documentation taken care off. His new card should come in the next 10 days.

Once his card comes, all I have left to do is get his Certificate of Citizenship re issued in his name (from his readoption). This step costs a nice chunk of change so I will do that after tax season in 2009.

After our wait at the Federal Building, we headed over to see some friends from the place I used to work at back when I moved home. One friend, Jen, started there the same day I did and we started talking during the training. When I left that company a year later, we still remained friends and come to find out she moved over by my sister's house!!! So now I can see her more often.
Ann and I worked together at another job I took after the job where I met Jen. She is now happily working with Jen, our industry is very small and you end up knowing folks at most of the major companies very quickly. I had not seen Ann in close to 3 years.

There were other friends I wish I had been able to see, and to have them meet Bug, but Friday afternoon is a bad time to find people in the downtown office. So we will try again another day.


This visit reminded me, that while I love working from home, I miss the day to day interactions with my coworkers. Yes, it is nice to work in shorts and tee-shirt all summer or a sweater shirt and jeans all winter, but having someone to talk to about the day to day issues in a study is something I miss. There are pros and cons to both sides, working from home, or being office based, so I can not say one is better than the other. I can say though, working at home can be hugely isolating.
I found out one of the friends from my previous company, who lives right around the corner from me, works from home every day. I am going to check with her to see if she would be interested in lunch once a week or every 2 weeks. While we can not talk about the specific studies or sponsors we are working for, we could talk about our roles in general and how things are going. I have missed talking to people who understand exactly what I mean when I say things like "we issued 800 queries today" or "we are locking in 4 weeks". There is a common code to the terms we use in the industry, so we don't have to explain to each other all the steps involved.


Well, Bug is asleep- finally for tonight, and I am tired too. So off to bed for me.

Pictures will be posted tomorrow.

Love and hugs to you,
Deb

1 comment:

Ann said...

Don't forget the G884! I received E's documents recently and had a very nice surprise. I'll keep my fingers crossed you get something just as wonderful.

Hugs!
A & E