Monday, October 6, 2008

The aftermath of vacation

At 5 am this morning I was still wide awake. Yes, you read that right, i never went to sleep last night. Why you ask-

well, on the trip my car was having some difficulty at 1.5 RPMs (it has had problems at this point for a long time), about 40 miles from home, the check engine light came on. We pulled off the interstate and Pap checked everything and declared us fine. I was not so sure. I smelled that very dry burning smell that you get when your clothes have been in the dryer too long on high heat. So I worried all night.
I finally fell asleep on the couch at 5:30 this morning, but got up at 7 am and then again at 8:30. Bug and I took the car to the repair shop.

As Bug was playing in the new cars pretending to drive them, Gary came over an asked me if there was anything I liked on the showroom floor. That was when I knew it was going to be bad. Sure enough, I need a new transmission.

I can not afford a new car right now or a car payment, so a new transmission is what we are getting. I am not happy- I just paid off a big chunk of debt, I really can not afford this hit to our budget, but it is what it is. I think I am going to have to figure out a way to start saving for a new car- I am thinking mini van or station wagon. Seriously leaning toward station wagon.

I am off to nap now while Bug sleeps. perhaps this entire situation will look better after some rest. Thankfully I am still on vacation until Wednesday.

Love and hugs,
Deb

2 comments:

Resplendentquetzal said...

Hi, just thought I'd weigh in on the car situation. If you're considering a station wagon I'd highly recommend the Mazda5. It's what we bought when my car took a dive. It seats 6, and is a hatchback, but not a station wagon. We call it a mini-mini-van. It gets 24 mpg in the city and about 28mpg highway depending no how you drive. It's really been a great car for our small family.
Here's a link if you want to check it out. They aren't very common or popular in the states yet, but they are catching on.

www.mazdausa.com/musaweb/displaypage.action?pageParameter=modelsmain&vehiclecode=MZ5

You'll pry have to cut and paste it.

Vanessa said...

Just wanted to send you a cyber hug to brighten your day when the clouds are looming!!!