Monday, June 23, 2008

Bug update

No pictures today- Mam dropped some off today, but I have not organized them (looked at them), so words will have to do for today.

Bug is 34 months old now
he stands 36.5 inches
he weighs 30.2 pounds

according to the chart, that puts him right between the 25th and 50th percentiles.

I noticed recently that he really wants to play with other kids- not just be in the same room or take their toy away, but play and interact with him. I noticed it 2 weeks ago when we ventured to the mall and there was a little girl about 4 years old who played with him for 30-45 minutes. He was so happy. I was crying because I never thought Bug would get to the point where he would actually play with someone- rather than bite them. He played on the slide and in the tunnel and on the wagon. he was so happy.
Today we went to a new park (thanks Tammy) and he walked up to the another little girl and said hi and off they went to play. Her mom and I started talking. The little girl was clearly the leader, but Bug was as happy as he could be playing with his "friend" as he called her. She called him her best friend. He was following her around the play scape, up and down the stairs, over the bridge, all over. It was just nice to be out and be a momma watching her son play instead of being a momma trying to get her son to go join in.
Bug tells me every morning that he dreamed about Santa Claus. This worries me, because Sana just brought the small gifts in the stocking last year and Momma gave all the big gifts. This Momma does not want Santa to be the entire focus of Christmas. But in Bug's mind, that is all important- any advice on how to nip this in the bud? Because apparently Bug really wants a big truck because Sana brings him a BIG, BIG truck every night in his dreams. I am not sure I can measure up. We'll see- perhaps Bug will only get one gift this year.
Yes, I brought up Santa in June. It is almost time for me to start buying Christmas gifts so that I am done before Thanksgiving and this year especially, I need to be done before Thanksgiving since Bug is on a mission to get a BIG BIG truck. I'll have to get it into this house and hidden before he even realize Christmas is coming.

He has transitioned fantastically to his big boy room. Momma is the one struggling to finish the transition. I just run out of time- I don't want to spend the weekend moving his stuff, since that involves culling through his stuff. He has way more toys than he ever needs- isn't that ironic as I plot out Christmas. Seriously, he has toys for a much younger age and toys he never plays with, so I need to cull them and keep the ones that he plays with, or have meaning. That way his room can stay more organized. heck, I need to do the same thing with my stuff- but I don't want to spend my time doing these things when Bug and I could be doing stuff together- like the zoo or park or the pool on the patio.

Bug likes to tell me "I your momma". I think he is trying to say that he is my son, but all he knows is that I tell him that I am his momma. Of course Sunday, watching gymnastics on TV, he looked at one of he gymnasts (I think she is 17 years old) and he told me "she your momma". too cute.

I see more and more mannerisms from my family in him- of course the 16 year old attitude he is picking up from Jason has got to go. Apparently thought, he is also picking way too many words from me. Not so nice words for other drivers and words that might perhaps be said when things are dropped. Yep- those words have slipped out a few times. I am working on being better, because Bug is a sponge with language.

He is doing great overall. We have one issue with biting that continues. 2 weeks ago I was so upset and frustrated with the constant biting, I was looking at intervention because the biting was escalating. But, my sister came up with a solution. Bug knows the consequence of biting and believe you me, he does not like it. but it has cut down on the biting and we are making progress.

I have momma guilt right now- I am working very long hours and this will continue through August 9ending right before Bug's birthday). In the 14 years I have worked in the field I am in, I have never had the deadlines right on top of each other like this, so I know this is not normal. But it makes me feel so guilty knowing that I have just a few short hours with Bug each night and then I really need to get him to bed so I can go back to work (the joy of working from home).


That's the update on our lives right now. love and hugs to you,
Deb and Bug

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Deb,
Momma guilt is a very very normal feeling for us momma's. Its my opinion that the amount of time doesnt really matter to Bug, he cant tell time on a clock, but the quality of time you have with him is awesome. Hang in there, you are a strong woman and a great mommma, August will be over before you know it and then you can relax a litle more. My thought on the Santa thing is this, our kids think Santa brings it all on Christmas, but we dont give them more than what we would give them when Santa is no longer believed. They understand the meaning of Christmas- why we celebrate Christmas, but Santa is HUGE to my kids. Birthdays and other gifts throughout the year are from us parents, but Santa brings Christmas to the kids. I am not saying the way you are wanting it to be is not right, it is, if that is how you want it to be, but my experience with kids (not just mine) that Santa brings the things they think their parents wont bring. I was very happy to read that Bug is interacting easier with children a little easier these days, I know that makes your heart warm. This weekend I had to make a quick momma decision to let the apron strings loose with Arianna, her little friend called and asked if they could go swim at hte Y with her parents- I spoke to them, they would be with them both at all times----I said yes! I have not let my girl go with anyone ever! I never ever thought I would...My baby is growing up-I am terrified of this fact.....

Lisa H.

Deb said...

Lisa,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. You are a great freind and an awesome mommma. I think my issue with Christmas is that I have waited so long to be a momma, that I want it to be about me (YIKES_ selfish to the max there). So I need to let go. My mom tells me that Santa brought every gift when we growing up- I honestly do not remember- I just remember being a family. So perhaps I do just need to let go of this and make sure that santa is not the only focus and that there are not 50 millions toys under the tree each year.
I hear you about cutting the apron strings. My mom wants to keep Bug over night, I keep coming up with excuses not to allow it (Hi Mom). i am not ready for him to be sleeping at someone else's house and me sleeping home alone. when I travel for work, that is different, but nope, I am not ready to allow Bug to go on sleep overs.

You have a wonderful vacation. Bring lots of pictures back

Love and hugs to you,
Deb